Annual Pond Care Guide Continued...FALL
September – October
- Make fall pond maintenance simple and efficient. Prevent pond conditions from deteriorating to the point where aggressive measures are necessary.
- Install pond netting to prevent leaves and debris from accumulating at the bottom of the pond. Remove organic materials from the surface of your pond using a skimmer net.
- Condition your pond with Aquascape Cold Water Beneficial Bacteria,beginning with daytime water temperatures below 10°C/50°F. Treat twice weekly for two weeks, then once per week until the water begins to freeze. Cold Water Beneficial Bacteria is now rated for use in water temperatures as low as 2°C/35°F.
- Remove or bring tropical (non-hardy) plants indoors. Trim hardy lilies down to about an inch or two above the crown and move them to a deeper part of the pond.
- Trim marginal or bog plants. Remove water lettuce and water hyacinths when they are looking poorly. You may leave some tall marginals for winter interest.
- When the first film of ice forms on your pond, it’s time to think about dismantling your filtration system, as well as draining and removing your pump. Remove all filter mats, BioBalls and skimmer components; rinse and dry thoroughly and store in your garage or basement for the winter.
- Tsurumi pumps require an annual oil & seal change. Consult your manufacturer’s recommendations to determine the proper method to store your pump.
- Fall is the most important time of year to feed your fish. And you only have a 6°C/11°F window of opportunity to do so! Make sure you have a floating pond thermometer and consult it often!
- Switch back to Aquascape Premium Cold Water Fish Food Pellets once the daytime water temperature drops to 15°C/60°F and continue to feed your fish at 10°C/50°F. However, once the water temperature is consistently below 10°C/50°F, stop feeding your fish altogether.
- Your fish will be dormant for up to six months and will have to survive on accumulated fat storage to sustain themselves until spring.
- Give your finned friends a fighting chance by boosting their immune system with Aquascape Pond Fish Vitamin Treat.